Thursday, 30 January 2014

A Blue Tit and waste canvas


This was a Christmas present for my sister, we fight (nicely) over hot water bottles so I thought I'd make her a super special one, though I'm now tempted to steal it. Stitched on snugly fleece using waste canvas it was nice and easy apart from the velcro opening trying to eat my hand, it's hungry stuff! My stitching arms had been getting pretty grumpy on the run up to Christmas so I thought I'd try out a new kind of lap frame as I only ever had a huuuuuge one for larger projects and stitched small things freehand. This robotic wooden arm has proved to be really helpful. 

Now tempted to stitch the blue tit on everything, I have to say I do prefer using this plastic water soluble kind of waste canvas even if it does take a while to melt behind the stitches. I tend to stitch quite tightly so the thread kind of waste canvas is a tweezer nightmare. But that could be just me, it's OK on small things.


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - the design is very Charlie Harper-ish I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd not seen that before and I really like his work.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous idea for a water bottle cozy! I'm too chicken to try to stitch anything with waste canvas as I fear I will mess up all my stitching when attempting to dissolve the canvas. Perhaps someday I will brave it!
    I have a lap hoop holder similar to yours and find it to be nice especially for projects with dozens of different colors of floss.
    -Ms. Phoebe's Mom

    PS- Sadly Ms. Phoebe passed unexpectedly on the 19th at the age of 13. She had been fighting an aggressive respiratory infection, asthma, an other health issues the past few months. It has been hard, as she was my life. Taking care of a special needs kitty is a labor of love and life changing. No one thought she would make it to age 6 let alone 13, so her life was a good long one considering. She went peacefully and surrounded with love, for which I am most grateful. The brooch portrait you stitched me of her is now means even more and is a keepsake I will treasure always, along with the one of her sister Černy.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't ruin your stitching you should try it, maybe experiment with something small first. It's super addictive once you start. So sorry to hear about Ms. Phoebe, that is sad news. Sending you hugs!! xx

      Delete
  3. I've used the waste canvas with the threads you have to remove and it is a pain. I bought some water soluable kind but haven't tried it yet. The idea of using it on fleece is an interesting one, I never would have thought to do that, but the possibilities are endless!
    I love that pattern of yours, it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't sure it would work on the fleece but I really wanted it to, haha! Not sure how long it will look good as fleece does bobble, but I like it. Try your other stuff it is calling you!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment.