Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Work in progress: Birdseeker Woodpecker tree quilting

Woodpecker Quilting WIP

No new birdseeker for last month did anyone notice? The first that I've missed, I've been busy working on designs for stockists and when I worked out how many birdseeker birds I've stitched already I'm way ahead so I stopped my stitched frenzy. I can get a little bird blind when it gets to self enforced challenges set! So anyway here is more work in progress on the young spotted woodpecker. He has been appliqued onto grey linen gingham with a wadding backing to create a subtle quilting when the pattern of the silver birch is stitched.

I could just leave it like this, I do quite like the calm but I have some text I'd like to add to it yet. While making this I've been reading the original 'The Adventures of Pinocchio' by Carlo Collodi first published in English in 1892, I have a fondness of fairy tale and old quirky childhood stories. I do also love the animated 1940's Disney version but Collodi's is not the cute Pinocchio we have come to love. It is an amusing collection of dark oddness, biting off of paws, giant pigeon rides, a magnificently dressed poodle encounter and most captivating for me the pecking small of Pinocchio's large nose by a thousand woodpeckers. So what words will I pick? you'll have to wait and see.

(You can follow the link to read it online, but it is available on amazon if you're like me and still like to read actual paper books)

Disney Pinocchio Film Trailer :

 


2 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for any bird motif....specially woodpeckers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely addicted to this little fella I can't stop stitching his smaller woodpecker friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment.