Sunday, 17 July 2011

Work In progress: Many wedding birds one cushion

Owl WIP 

Wedding Blooms Whiteley Owl 



I've been working on the most delightful collaboration translating the wonderful sculptural birds of Gerard Whiteley into textile and stitch to celebrate as a surprise gift for his wife to celebrate their 1st wedding anniversary which is today! (Happy anniversary!). Last year I embroidered birds onto the wedding dress, so the design brief was to incorporate the 5 colours of the wedding, pink, pale blue, lilac, gold, and royal blue, also  the 11 different birds that they used at the wedding and some text. Knowing the couple well and having worked with them before does make the design process easier as i like to make personal links wherever possible. For instance fabric choices, the blue liberty print used is 'Nina' which was the same used on the wedding dress, the fabric choices for the cushion I sourced from Japan, a Japanese double gauze  also some silk vintage kimono as that was where they spent their honeymoon. My choice for grey comes from needing a neutral background colour but Sarah, 'Mrs Whiteley' enjoys photography and has just had an exhibition of 10 years of photography when she spoke of her Japan images she mentioned a greyness and darkness about them and she had brought me back some pretty printed floral grey fabric.

Hawfinch WIP


I've been totally captivated by the eyes of the owl, he was the bird on the main table, each table had a wooden sculpture center piece on it, and each name place were a hand cut outline of that bird. So as part of the design I have fully embroidered 3 of the 11 birds and these are the centre of the design the rest of the birds are hand quilted in their outline with text inside them, but more about that in my next blog post. For now I leave you with the wonderful sculptures, as they looked with the British wedding blooms, and a work in progress shot of the appliqued birds on the gauze.


Bluetit WIP 

Wedding Blooms Whiteley Blue Tit
(My home, armful of wedding flowers last year lucky me and a beautiful blue tit that keeps me company, also my favourite teapot 'faux bois' print.)

Wedding Bird Cushion: Applique WIP

5 comments:

  1. gorgeous! what a sweet project. thank you so much for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was such a lovely project to design for his birds are delightful, the wooden Owl is stunning in all his wooden feathered glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muy lindas todas tus aves, saludos desde México.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment.