Thursday, 7 October 2010

Stitching My Own Face : Work in progress


Still very much at an early stage and a work in progress, I've got to a point where I can reveal the mask piece I've been working on. It is a plastic mesh frame with hand stitched quilting, very subtly padded to show the stitched stalks of the fabric that sprawl all over the contours of the face. The rest of the photos show how I got to this stage.



 Liberty print fabric folded, pinned and sewn place to fit the contours of the mask.



Two layers of wadding to soften the texture of the mesh beneath the fabric but also to create a quilted effect when stitching into the mask.


And this is the base, as soon as I saw it I knew I needed to stitch into it, how could I not??? It is a heat setting plastic that forms around the shape of the face I needed it for a course of treatment I had last year. Part of me really wanted to keep it as it was as it was quite a peaceful sculptural object but the needle and thread won. The plan is to stitch some birds on it in true teasemade fashion... so more photos to follow.

4 comments:

  1. This is really clever! You brainiac! I love this plastic mesh. You're right - it is asking to be stitched on! You should get sponsored by Liberty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do actually have LOADS of non Liberty fabric too but Tana Lawn is has such a nice fine texture for such things, one day I'll get through everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you are sooo clever. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment.