Monday, 20 September 2010

A Sunday Spent Stitching Pigeons


And what a fabulous Sunday it was, Laura (she draws) and I popped along to Selvedge Magazine 'Make a London pigeon workshop' at the V&A I'd heard about it via their Facebook/blog post and was obsessed about it from that point on, thankfully I only had a few days to wait. Why so excited? Well yes I like birds, and yes I like stitching birds but I've been talking about stitching a pigeon for AGES, meeting Laura hasn't helped as her nickname is pigeon and we talk about them far too often. So who better to make a pigeon with? Perfect. The collaboration between Selvedge and Thornback and Peel was such a genius idea. Making textile stuffed pigeons for an installation of Trafalgar Square is brilliant enough but Thornback and Peel printed pigeons are actually one of my favourite printed illustrated birds and I have been subscribing to Selvedge Magazine since issue 5 many moons ago. Each and every issue is full of inspiration and textile goodness... all these things should explain my over excitement.


Laura busy at work


So armed with a sewing box full of sewing treats to share I headed off to the V&A. There we camped out for hours as people arrived, sewed and stuffed and added their pigeons to the ever growing flock while we happily hand stitched ours with lots of coloured detail, enjoying the experience to the full. A perfectly mellow stitching Sunday.



Pinned and ready for stitching I chose to hand stitch mine even though there were lots of sewing machines as I prefer the finish on small objects and raw cotton, doesn't take me too much longer.


Laura's became a Postal Pigeon with an adorable post bag and I gave my pigeon a flying medal.


Mr Postie Pigeon

Major Love Pigeon

(For more photos of the workshop take a look at my flickr album)

5 comments:

  1. This workshop looked like such good fun. Love your 'teasemade' customisations x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! These are so amazing, I wish I could have gone to this :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did have a great time, wish everyone could have made a pigeon! We get them posted to us after the installation, so they are real homing pigeons to add to the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pigeons! They look fantastic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment.